Tuesday, October 04, 2005

I Did It... Almost

What an experience! The Atlanta 3-Day is over.
Day One - Friday, September 30th, 2005
Opening Ceremonies were in the Northlake Mall parking lot on the northeast side of Atlanta. A somewhat emotional start to an incredible weekend. We stretched, filled up our water bottles, and began our journey. Day one would be a long one... 22.7 miles in all. We had pit stops approximately every 3 miles. Volunteer crew cheered us on at each stop along the way. At each pit stop we were able to refill our bottle, grab a snack, and visit the port-a-potties. We walked through Tucker and near Stone Mountain. We ended the day at the Southeast Athletic Complex in Lithonia. I made it all the way!! I had no blisters! I had no major aches or pains! Sure I was exhausted, but after my struggles with blisters while training, I was so thankful. When arriving at camp, I began to get a little nauseous. I assumed I was just a little overheated so I sat down in the shade with my water. I cooled off, but I still wasn't feeling any better, maybe worse. I decided to go to the medical tent to see if there was anything they could do. I learned that it was probably just stomach acid. Apparently when you are very active for a period of time, your stomach produces extra acid and doesn't stop when you do causing an upset stomach. The nurse gave me an anti-nausea pill and an antacid and sent me on my way. At the time that wasn't much comfort as I felt horrible. I called Brian sobbing and told him, "I'd have you come get me, but I don't know where I am!" He was very consoling although I'm sure he thought I was a nut, and I was feeling better when I hung up the phone. The first night continued to be an adventure. I waited over an hour in line to take a shower in a tractor trailer. Then when I finally crawled into my tent long past "lights out" I realized that it was not an 8'x8' tent as anticipated, but only a 6'x6' tent. Not quite the Hilton for this 6' tall girl!

Day Two - Saturday, October 1st, 2005
I knew the second day would be the most challenging. It was going to be the longest at 23.6 miles. The excitement from the first day had faded and the anticipation of finishing was not yet in sight. It was somewhat difficult packing our bags and taking down our tents in the dark, but we managed. I stepped in a hole walking out of camp and turned my ankle a little. It didn't hurt that much so I kept on going. I started rubbing blisters (not on my toes, but where the toes attach to the foot) in the first stretch so I stopped to doctor them at the first pit stop. We walked through downtown Stone Mountain where many friends and family members were lining the streets cheering us as we passed. It was then that the hills seemed to get longer, the sun got hotter, and the shade got scarcer. I made it to lunch, but I wasn't sure how much longer I could go. I was already sunburned from day one - sunscreen doesn't work when you're sweating so much - and the sun was merciless. I started out after lunch hoping for a shady stretch, but it wasn't to be found. At the next pit stop - mile 13.4 - I decided to call it a day and take the bus back to camp. This was a very hard decision as I really wanted to complete the entire walk. I later heard that around 1,000 walkers were bused on day two, which made me feel a little less disappointed in myself. Camp on day two was at the Georgia Perimeter College. It was nice getting back to camp early. I didn't have to wait in line for a shower, and I had time to relax and enjoy camp. I was able to get to bed on time and although I was still too long for my tent, I slept much better the second night.

Day Three - Sunday, October 2nd, 2005
We started day three inspired as it would only be a 15 mile walk to the end of our journey. My ankle was stiff, my muscles were aching, and my blisters were tender but all in all I didn't feel that bad. I realized shortly after leaving that I had somehow managed to pack my camera in my duffel bag rather than my fanny pack (easy to do in the dark), so I stopped at CVS and bought a disposable one. We walked through some nice neighborhoods including Druid Hills and then through downtown Decatur. The sun was still unrelenting, but we were blessed with more shade on this final day. We crossed the finish line in Piedmont Park where friends, family, and faster walkers cheered. I did it!! Total miles for the 3-Day were 61.3 - I completed 51.1 of those. Closing ceremonies began at 5:00 with a parade of walkers, crew, and survivors.
2,500 Walkers - 200 Survivors - 325 Volunteer Crew
6.2 Million Dollars - 1 Extraordinary Cause
Will I do it again? Too soon to say. I'm still recovering and catching up on sleep. It was definitely an experience. It had it ups and downs, and I don't just mean the hills. But it is an accomplishment that I will never forget.
Walking around the Northlake Mall Friday morning.

Most of Team Zero to Sixty

2,500 Anxious Walkers at Opening Ceremonies

"Tent City"

Wonderful & Crazy Crew Members

My Pal Misty

Me - Tammy - Helen - Lorena - Sharon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY MISTY...Way to go Girl!!!! What a fabulous "feat of the feet"! We are so proud of you. It takes an amazing amount of strength, courage & perseverance to accomplish what you did! What an entry for the "memory album" of your life. Now get some rest cos you deserve it and thanks for sharing your weekend here. From your family in SC....
We love ya, PW & LW

Anonymous said...

Misty! What a great description of the 3 day! You have a way with words! It was an incredible experience and I'm glad that I was blessed to meet you early on in the adventure! I am very proud of all that you have accomplished! Love the pictures! I'll try to get a team reunion/celebration dinner together in the next few weeks!

You go girl!!! Love ya!

Tammy