Yesterday morning at work while I was on another call, I received a voice mail message. It went something like this: "Hey, it's me [Brian]. I'm getting ready to board an airplane to New Orleans. I shouldn't be too late tonight. You can try to call my cell phone if you need to reach me. Bye." Naturally I wondered what was going on, so I quickly returned the call. It seems when Brian arrived at work, there were truckloads of donations from the good people of Atlanta needing to be delivered to the hurricane ravaged coast. AirTran volunteered two of its airplanes to transport the supplies. Brian helped load the airplanes, and when they were full (the cargo hold and the seats), volunteered to fly down to unload as well. It turns out they were unable to get into the New Orleans airport, so they ended up going to Gulfport/Biloxi. After seeing all the destruction, he commented "Hugo was bad, but not this bad!" (Brian and his family endured first hand the destruction of Hugo in 1989 when they lived in Sumter, South Carolina.) He said when they flew out over the coast, the ocean just didn't look right with all the oil and debris floating in it. I'm sure there is a lot I'm leaving out that Brian could better tell you about, so I'll leave that to him. This quick trip was an experience for Brian, and I am proud of him for going.
American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina Relief
Saturday, September 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment